BooksForABuck.com Newsletter--April, 2010
News and Events
- Welcome to the April edition of the BooksForABuck.com newsletter.
Read an eBook Week is over (although I hope everyone is still reading eBooks). It's exciting for me to have been in on the eBook revolution from early days--showing people how easy it was to read eBooks on my Palm III, autographing CD's with text rather than sound, and participating in author and publisher groups as we tried to find ways to share our excitement. Now that eBooks have gone mainstream, there's a danger that some of what made us special can get lost. The old eBook retailers are being swallowed up by traditional players (Mobipocket by Amazon, Fictionwise by Barnes and Noble) and gradually left out to seed.
One of the beauties of eBooks is that they don't require shelf space. A vendor can offer far more eBook titles than even the largest book superstore. I hope, as you peruse this vast catalog, you'll consider digging a little deeper, checking out books by smaller publishers, by less known authors--including our own BooksForABuck.com, of course.
Rob Preece, Publisher
If you're not yet a subscriber to this monthly newsletter, follow the link on the bottom to subscribe. We send only a monthly notification so you won't be bombarded by spam and you'll stay current on new releases, author activities, special information, reviews and eBook news.
- You can buy BooksForABuck.com stuff from our Cafe Press Store (no markup). (Authors, please let me know if you're interested in your own Cafe Press Store. It's free and I'll be happy to help with artwork and to link to it.)
- If you haven't already done so, check out our videos page. Trailers, video versions, author rants, and just-for-fun entertainment.
- Available in bookstores? Thanks to an agreement between printers, many of our books (the paperback versions) are now orderable through your local bookstore. Of course, they're also available through Amazon. Authors, you may be able to work with your local bookstore for signings. e-mail me if you have questions.
Coming in April:
WHO KILLED THE KILLER by Kenneth E. Ingle. R.P. Gavin minds his own busines driving people where they want to go. He reports his income to the IRS but otherwise doesn't ask questions--until one of his clients knocks him unconcious and, when R.P. regains consciousness, is dead in R.P.'s back seat. Looking into the murder seems risky. Not knowing who set him up seems even riskier and R.P. soon finds himself flirting with a sexy cop, looking for an assassin, and on the trail of neo-Nazis with weird plans of world conquest. WHO KILLED THE KILLER will be available in early April. The price is $3.99 but it'll be on sale for $1.00 for the first month of availability. (Until May 9, 2011)
Our March release
SHADOWS OF NEW YORK by Teel James Glenn. We celebrated author Teel James Glenn's March 2nd birthday with the release of his lastest pulp adventure, SHADOWS OF NEW YORK. Glenn creates a 1930s pulp hero in the vein of the classic heroes of this period (Doc Savage, Batman, The Shadow, etc.) and sets him in the secretive world of the New York's Chinatown and an Asia dominated by the militaristic and expansionary Imperial Japan. With his trusty sidekicks of an Irish boxer and a pretty one-eyed Chinese woman, Dr. Shadows battles evil--one crook at a time. This is the projected first book in a series of Dr. Shadows books. SHADOWS OF NEW YORK is priced at only $3.99.
What our authors are up to
- Karen Leabo (Kara Lennox) is offering an on-line seminar on 'Structure your novel like a movie' with the Heart of Carolina Romance Authors. Check it out.
- Karen Leabo (Kara Lennox) is offering an on-line course in 'Setting,'' May 2-May 15 at Savvy Authors.
- Karen Leabo (writing as Kara Lennox) has a new book from Harlequin SuperRomance--NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH (see my review) or check it out at Amazon.com here
- Rob Preece will be speaking on small publishing at the Orange County Romance Writers June 2011 meeting. (Note: Authors--please send updates on your activities and I'll include them in next month's newsletter)
We added reviews of the following books during March:
- Romance/Women's Fiction
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
Many of our authors are on Facebook. Be sure to friend them, too. Included are Rob Preece, Teel James Glenm. Kate Rothwell, Paul Nelson, Victoria Chancellor, Kenneth E. Ingle, Joshua Calkins-Treworgy, Mike Markel, George Snyder and Kara Lennox. If your'e a Facebook member, search them out. (If you're a BooksForABuck.com author and your name isn't on the list, e-mail me).
I've added a 'Fan' page for BooksForABuck.com at Facebook. Be sure to 'Like' it and keep up with the latest from BFAB and the life of a micro-publisher. Check it out here.
I confess that I've been remiss on the Blog. Let me know if you're interested in hearing about the sometimes-exciting life of a micro-publisher. Otherwise, I'm gradually migrating to Facebook.
Not a newsletter subscriber--YET? It's FREE. Click the Join Now button below.
Click to join BooksForABuckNewsletter
See the Newsletter archive