BooksForABuck.com Newsletter--August, 2010
News and Events
- Welcome to the July edition of the BooksForABuck.com newsletter.
Last month, I noted huge price reductions in the prices of the Amazon Kindle and Barnes and Noble Nook. Well, the action continues. Amazon has come out with its generation-3 Kindles, which now include Wi-Fi (and a Wi-Fi only option), allowing users to send themselves documents without paying the ten-cent charge Amazon puts on personal documents over Whispernet. For those of you reading eBooks on your computers or cellphones, it may just be time to upgrade to a dedicated device. I love my Kindle, lust over the Nook, and drool over the iPad. I'm waiting for a tablet computer to come in the sub-$200 range, though, before I send a lot.
If you're not yet a subscriber to this monthly newsletter, follow the link on the bottom to subscribe. We send only a monthly notification so you won't be bombarded by spam and you'll stay current on new releases, author activities, special information, reviews and eBook news.
- You can buy BooksForABuck.com stuff from our Cafe Press Store (no markup). (Authors, please let me know if you're interested in your own Cafe Press Store. It's free and I'll be happy to help with artwork and to link to it.)
- If you haven't already done so, check out our videos page. Trailers, video versions, author rants, and just-for-fun entertainment.
- Available in bookstores? Thanks to an agreement between printers, many of our books (the paperback versions) are now orderable through your local bookstore. Of course, they're also available through Amazon. Authors, you may be able to work with your local bookstore for signings. e-mail me if you have questions.
Coming in August:
TO KILL A THIEF by Kenneth E. Ingle. The FBI won't believe a string of murdered scientists are connected but corporate spy Devin Brandon takes the job, only to find himself in the midst of a far deeper plot than he'd imagined. An action-thriller. (I'm anticipating a late-month release)
Our July publication
TO KILL A JUDGE by Paul Nelson. Actually, the ship date shipped to August 2, which gives you a few more days to take advantage of our special introductory pricing. The regular price is only $3.99, but until September 2, it'll be on sale for only $1.00. During this introductory period, it's available exclusively from BooksForABuck.com (afterwards, it'll be available through the major eBook distributors).
What our authors are up to
- Karen Leabo/Kara Lennox is conducting an on-line class called "Yes You Can Quit Your Day Job" with the Red River Romance Writers September 6-19. ($20).
- Rob Preece is conducting a class in What the action heroine knows and the author should for the Romance Writers of America Kiss of Death chapter.
- S. K. O'Toole's art will be on display at the B. J. Spoke Gallery in Huntington. (Congratulations, SK).
- Author Mike Markel is doing an author chat with Library Thing the week of August 9.
- Author Mike Markel is making DEVIATIONS the sequel to BIG SICK HEART available through Scribd. Check it out.
- Author Mike Markel is offering a special benefit for purchasers of his mystery, BIG SICK HEART. If you're among the first 100 customers to e-mail us and let us know which character in his book (other than the man diagnosed with a heart condition) has a 'big sick heart,' you'll be entered in a drawing to win $100. That's $100 for 100. (I'll post here when the contest is closed so act quickly).
We added reviews of the following books during July:
- Romance/Women's Fiction
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
Some of our authors are on MySpace. Ask them to be your friend
Many of our authors are on Facebook. Be sure to friend them, too. Included are Rob Preece, Teel James Glenm. Kate Rothwell, Paul Nelson, Victoria Chancellor, Kenneth E. Ingle, Joshua Calkins-Treworgy, Mike Markel and Kara Lennox. If your'e a Facebook member, search them out. (If you're a BooksForABuck.com author and your name isn't on the list, e-mail me).
Find out about the life and writing of an author-publisher. Check it out and add your comments.
Not a newsletter subscriber--YET? It's FREE. Click the Join Now button below.
Click to join BooksForABuckNewsletter
See the Newsletter archive