BooksForABuck.com Newsletter--January, 2010
News and Events
- Welcome to the January edition of the BooksForABuck.com newsletter.
On behalf of the publisher and authors from BooksForABuck.com, I wish all of you a very happy new year. 2010 was a year of huge changes in the world of books--with eBooks almost explosively elbowing their way to the fore. Whether you've purchased a dedicated reading device (the Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Noble Nook/Color Nook or others), use an iPad, or have chosen one of the software options (Kindle for PC, iPhone, etc., Nook for PC, iPhone, etc.) both the reading and purchasing experience continue to improve.
Here at BooksForABuck.com, we've added new formats to support the new devices, and are continually exploring new distribution options to make it easy for you to buy your books--whether in eBook format or paper format--from your choice of distributor. Of course, those who buy directly from us know that you're providing maximum support for authors, as well as taking advantage of our special introductory prices.
During 2011, look for new books by favorite BooksForABuck.com authors...and for new authors as well. We'll continue doing our best to provide the best and most affordable mystery, science fiction, fantasy and romance on the web.
Rob Preece, Publisher
If you're not yet a subscriber to this monthly newsletter, follow the link on the bottom to subscribe. We send only a monthly notification so you won't be bombarded by spam and you'll stay current on new releases, author activities, special information, reviews and eBook news.
- You can buy BooksForABuck.com stuff from our Cafe Press Store (no markup). (Authors, please let me know if you're interested in your own Cafe Press Store. It's free and I'll be happy to help with artwork and to link to it.)
- If you haven't already done so, check out our videos page. Trailers, video versions, author rants, and just-for-fun entertainment.
- Available in bookstores? Thanks to an agreement between printers, many of our books (the paperback versions) are now orderable through your local bookstore. Of course, they're also available through Amazon. Authors, you may be able to work with your local bookstore for signings. e-mail me if you have questions.
Coming in January:
COURTING MANDY by Victoria Chancellor. Mandy is a small-town librarian. Sure bad-boy Case Gardner is sexy, and his Harley Davidson motorcycle gets her heart pounding almost as fast as its pistons, but she knows he's all wrong for her--will destroy her if he sweeps her into his wake. She tries to dress conservatively, stay under the radar, but Case seems intent on courting her--no matter how she tries to resist. Available in mid-month, COURTING MANDY will be on sale for only $1.00 (regular price $3.99) during the first month of availability.
We did something different last month. Taking a break from our normal genres, we published WRITING GENRE FLASH FICTION THE MINIMALIST WAY by Michael A Kechula. If you're interested in writing flash (1000 words or less) fiction, Kechula provides dozens of ideas and exercises that will help you understand what makes flash unique, come up with story ideas, and slash wordcount to the bone. WRITING GENRE FLASH FICTION is on sale for only $7.99 (regular price $9.99) between now and January 20, 2011.
What our authors are up to
- Karen Leabo (Kara Lennox) will be conducting a full-day seminar with the Central Ohio Fiction Writers--topic "Supercharge your writing." The details are here: http://www.cofw.org/workshop.html
- Karen Leabo (writing as Kara Lennox) has a new book coming out from Harlequin SuperRomance in February 2011--look for TAKEN TO THE EDGE. (I'll have a review here soon)
- Rob Preece will be speaking on small publishing at the Orange County Romance Writers June 2011 meeting. (Note: Authors--please send updates on your activities and I'll include them in next month's newsletter)
We added reviews of the following books during December:
- Romance/Women's Fiction
- No new romance reviews for November
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
- No new Mystery/thriller reviews
- Writing-Related Books
Many of our authors are on Facebook. Be sure to friend them, too. Included are Rob Preece, Teel James Glenm. Kate Rothwell, Paul Nelson, Victoria Chancellor, Kenneth E. Ingle, Joshua Calkins-Treworgy, Mike Markel and Kara Lennox. If your'e a Facebook member, search them out. (If you're a BooksForABuck.com author and your name isn't on the list, e-mail me).
Find out about the life and writing of an author-publisher. Check it out and add your comments.
Not a newsletter subscriber--YET? It's FREE. Click the Join Now button below.
Click to join BooksForABuckNewsletter
See the Newsletter archive