BooksForABuck.com Newsletter--March, 2010
News and Events
- Welcome to the February edition of the BooksForABuck.com newsletter.
Next week is "Read an eBook Week." BooksForABuck.com has been supporting Read an eBook Week for years now and I wonder if this will be the last one. This time last year, eBooks were still a blip, something the big publishers were struggling to get behind. Now, Amazon is reporting selling more eBooks than paperbacks (they passed hardbacks months before) and Barnes and Noble is showing growth for the first time in a long time because of their eBook sales. It's been exciting to have been a part of this industry since early days and to see how far we've come. While the big boys are playing in the market now, I believe there's still a place for small publishers and for the fresh voices we bring to the market--as well as the affordable prices BooksForABuck.com sets. By the way, you can enter to win a Nook WiFi from the Read an eBook Week site. Check it out and let me know if you win.
While eBooks are growing fast, the book industry continues to struggle. Last month, Borders, one of the big-two brick and mortar bookstore chains in the US declared bankruptcy. They're hoping to reorganize and continue in business but are closing hundreds of stores. I've never been a huge fan of Borders (they weren't especially friendly to small publishers or to eBooks), it's still a loss to the world of reading to see a major player evaporate.
Rob Preece, Publisher
If you're not yet a subscriber to this monthly newsletter, follow the link on the bottom to subscribe. We send only a monthly notification so you won't be bombarded by spam and you'll stay current on new releases, author activities, special information, reviews and eBook news.
- You can buy BooksForABuck.com stuff from our Cafe Press Store (no markup). (Authors, please let me know if you're interested in your own Cafe Press Store. It's free and I'll be happy to help with artwork and to link to it.)
- If you haven't already done so, check out our videos page. Trailers, video versions, author rants, and just-for-fun entertainment.
- Available in bookstores? Thanks to an agreement between printers, many of our books (the paperback versions) are now orderable through your local bookstore. Of course, they're also available through Amazon. Authors, you may be able to work with your local bookstore for signings. e-mail me if you have questions.
Coming in March:
SHADOWS OF NEW YORK by Teel James Glenn. We celebrated author Teel James Glenn's March 2nd birthday with the release of his lastest pulp adventure, SHADOWS OF NEW YORK. Glenn creates a 1930s pulp hero in the vein of the classic heroes of this period (Doc Savage, Batman, The Shadow, etc.) and sets him in the secretive world of the New York's Chinatown and an Asia dominated by the militaristic and expansionary Imperial Japan. With his trusty sidekicks of an Irish boxer and a pretty one-eyed Chinese woman, Dr. Shadows battles evil--one crook at a time. This is the projected first book in a series of Dr. Shadows books. SHADOWS OF NEW YORK is priced at only $3.99 but it's on sale for only $1.00 during its first month of availability.
Our February Release
QUIET ANCHORAGE by Ed Lynskey. Lynskey turns from hardboiled to cozy in a charming adventure set in a small town in Virginia. When their niece is accused of murder, two elderly women, both fans of detective fiction, decide it's up to them to solve the case and free their niece. Their investigation proves that the town of Quiet Anchorage is not the idyllic place it appears, but is pushing a ruthless killer into a corner really a good idea? ANCHORAGE is priced at $3.99, but it's still on sale for only $1.00--but only until March 9. (HTML, Adobe PDF, ePub, Kindle/Mobipocket, eReader and Microsoft Reader formats).
What our authors are up to
- Karen Leabo (Kara Lennox) will be conducting her popular "Plot Fixer" on-line seminar at Savvy Authors from March 7-April 3, 2011.
- Karen Leabo (Kara Lennox) is offering an on-line seminar on 'Structure your novel like a movie' with the Heart of Carolina Romance Authors. Check it out.
- Karen Leabo (Kara Lennox) is offering an on-line course in 'Setting,'' May 2-May 15 at Savvy Authors.
- Karen Leabo (writing as Kara Lennox) has a new book from Harlequin SuperRomance--NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH (see my review) or check it out at Amazon.com here
- Rob Preece will be speaking on small publishing at the Orange County Romance Writers June 2011 meeting. (Note: Authors--please send updates on your activities and I'll include them in next month's newsletter)
We added reviews of the following books during February:
- Romance/Women's Fiction
January 2011 Reviews
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
Many of our authors are on Facebook. Be sure to friend them, too. Included are Rob Preece, Teel James Glenm. Kate Rothwell, Paul Nelson, Victoria Chancellor, Kenneth E. Ingle, Joshua Calkins-Treworgy, Mike Markel, George Snyder and Kara Lennox. If your'e a Facebook member, search them out. (If you're a BooksForABuck.com author and your name isn't on the list, e-mail me).
I've added a 'Fan' page for BooksForABuck.com at Facebook. Be sure to 'Like' it and keep up with the latest from BFAB and the life of a micro-publisher. Check it out here.
I confess that I've been remiss on the Blog. Let me know if you're interested in hearing about the sometimes-exciting life of a micro-publisher. Otherwise, I'm gradually migrating to Facebook.
Not a newsletter subscriber--YET? It's FREE. Click the Join Now button below.
Click to join BooksForABuckNewsletter
See the Newsletter archive